Why Do I Need an SS-4?

As you begin forming your business, you may learn that you need to submit an SS4 form. You may wonder what exactly this form is, why you need one, and what the easiest way to submit it is. Here you’ll find the answers to all your questions.

What Is an SS4 Form Used For?

Certain businesses and other entities including trusts and nonprofits need employer identification numbers (EIN) to file and report taxes. Form SS-4 is the form used to apply for an EIN.

Apply for a New EIN

When Do I Need to Submit Form SS4?

You are required to apply for an EIN using Form SS4 if you are forming any of the following entities:

  • Corporation
  • Partnership
  • Non-profit organization
  • Trust
  • Estate

An essential part of starting any of these organizations is filing Form SS4 online with GovDocFiling.

Is Form SS4 Ever Not Required?

Certain business entities don’t require an EIN, making submitting an SS4 unnecessary in those circumstances. For example, if you’re a sole proprietor or single-owner LLC, you don’t technically need an EIN. However, you may want–or need–to get one in the following circumstances:

  • You want to start hiring employees
  • You have certain retirement plans, such as a Solo 401(k) or Keogh
  • You want to change to a partnership, multi-owner LLC, or corporation
  • You need to file for bankruptcy
  • You want to open a bank account for your organization
  • You apply for a credit card for your business
  • You want to establish your status as an independent contractor
  • You want to avoid identity theft by not using your personal tax ID number

As you can see, Form SS-4 is a necessity in a variety of situations, even if you run a sole proprietorship and didn’t initially need one to start your business.

How Do I Submit Form SS-4?

The most convenient way to fill out your SS-4 form is using the online application.