Tax ID Application

Reasons you may need to apply for an EIN

You will need an EIN/Tax ID Number if you:  
  • Started a new business
  • Hired or will hire employees, including household employees
  • Opened a bank account that requires an EIN
  • Formed or created a Trust, pension plan, Corporation, Partnership or LLC
  • Need to open a business bank account or want to start a business line of credit
  • Changed the legal character or ownership of your organization (i.e., you incorporate a Sole Proprietorship or form a Partnership)
  • Represent an Estate that operates a business after the owner’s death

Benefits Of EIN Filing With GovDocFiling:

  • You do not have to waste time dealing with the IRS on your own.
  • GovDocFiling has one low price for same-day* processing and delivery of your EIN.
    • Most applications are processed, assigned and delivered to you via email within one hour* for no additional fee.
    • Other Tax ID filing services charge more than $300 for same-day service.
  • Going through the IRS directly to get your EIN can be complicated, confusing and frustrating. GovDocFiling alleviates the angst and aggravation of filing government documents.
  • We offer email and phone support to help you through the process.
  • Get your Tax ID questions answered quickly and file your SS-4 form with peace of mind.

*Most EINs are processed same or next business day, unless bundled with state formations, processing times will vary.

Frequently Asked Tax ID Questions

What is an EIN? What is a Tax ID Number? Are they the same thing?

There are a few different names that all refer to the same nine-digit number — with the format 12-3456789 — that all entities must obtain from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in order to start a business. The IRS assigns these numbers through an application process. Below are the names and acronyms for this number:

  • Tax ID Number (TIN)
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Federal Tax ID
  • Federal Tax ID Number (Federal TIN)

The most common names are EIN and Tax ID. They both refer to the same number that is required to start a business, even if you do not plan to have any employees. EINs/Tax ID Numbers are used to identify a business entity or additional entities like Estates or Trusts, just as you as an individual would be identified by your Social Security Number.

Choosing the proper entity is important. It determines many important aspects of your business, including how much your profits are taxed, how you or your company will be treated in a lawsuit and the type of bank account you’ll be able to open.

How do I apply for a Tax ID Number/EIN?

There are 3 steps to obtaining your federal EIN:

  1. Select your entity type
  2. Fill out the information on the one-page IRS form (SS-4)
  3. Submit a one-time federal filing fee for one-hour* processing

When will I receive my Tax ID and when will I be able to use it?

You will receive your Tax ID Number from the IRS to your email within the same day* you submit the EIN online application through our website. GovDocFiling is committed to removing the angst and aggravation of filing government documents, helping you avoid common mistakes to get things done right the first time and move forward with your business needs. The EIN can be used immediately for most of your business needs, including:

  • Opening a bank account
  • Applying for a business license in your state
  • Filing a tax return by mail

It’s important to note that it can take up to two weeks for your Tax ID to become recognized by official IRS records. You may have to wait until you can use your EIN to file an electronic tax return, make an e-payment or pass an IRS Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) matching program.

Please also note that banks have different requirements. Some banks may require the official letter from the IRS, which is sent to the address provided in the online Tax ID application. This can take up to four weeks to arrive.

What entity type is right for me?

The first step in starting your business is deciding which entity type best describes your business. This can be tough to decipher, so we have created a simple survey to help guide you in the right direction.

Take Survey


Or you can explore the different entity types through these comprehensive resources:

Depending on the type of business established, a Tax ID will grant certain benefits unique to the business entity. With a Tax ID, you’ll be eligible to establish a bank account in the company’s name, apply for credit and, in some instances, file income taxes separate from the business.

Should I complete a Tax ID application?

If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the following questions, you will need to file a EIN application:

  • Do you have any employees?
  • Are you establishing a Partnership or a Corporation?
  • Are you a Sole Proprietor/individual who wishes to obtain a bank account or credit card in the name of the business?
  • Are you paying income taxes or other wages to a non-resident alien?
  • Does your business entity have a Keogh plan?
    • Note: A Keogh plan is a tax-deferred pension plan available to self-employed individuals or unincorporated businesses for retirement purposes. A Keogh plan can be set up as either a defined-benefit or defined-contribution plan, although most plans are defined as contributions.
  • Is your business involved with organizations that include Trusts, IRAs, Estates, Non-profits, farmers’ cooperatives or plan administrators?

If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, file now with our simplified online IRS EIN application.

EIN Tax ID NumberGovDocFiling will process your EIN application (SS-4 Form) with the IRS to obtain your EIN/Tax ID and deliver it to you quickly and securely via email.

Still have questions about Tax ID numbers? Contact us or visit the FAQ section of our website.


Skip to toolbar