Want to File For a DBA?

Congratulations – you’ve formed your business! Now it’s time to make a name for it.

Start Application

Let’s get started!

Devon Young & Juliette Rossato
GovDocFiling Customer

Los Angeles, CA

Los Angeles, CA

Devon Young & Juliette Rossato
GovDocFiling Customer

Make a lasting first impression with your DBA name

County-specific DBA filing and publication information. Note: each county has specific DBA forms and public notification requirements

DBA numbers are often required for business bank accounts for Sole Proprietors and Partnerships

What is a "DBA"?

If you plan on operating your business under a name that is different from your official legal name, you will be required to file for a DBA. Depending on the city, county and state of your business, you will file through the state or local jurisdiction/county. Depending on who is doing the DBA application, DBAs can also be referred to as “Fictitious Business Name” (FBN), “Trade Name” or “Assumed Name.” Need to fill out a DBA application? GovDocFiling can help. Fill out the form above and see how easy DBA filing online can be.

What is the difference between my business's legal name and a DBA?

Your business can only have one legal name, which is the name you use when filing for your Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Tax ID (Form SS-4). Depending on the type of business entity, the legal name could also be the personal name(s) of the owner(s). For example, the legal name for a Sole Proprietorship and General Partnership is the individual’s first and last name.

Start DBA Application Now

Do I need to file a DBA for my business?

  • Sole Proprietor: If you want to conduct business under something other than your first and last name, filing a DBA is necessary.
  • Partnerships: If you want your partnership to be called something different than the legal name chosen on your EIN, a DBA will be required. Most banks and many states will also require that you file a DBA number with your local jurisdiction or state if you want multiple partners on the account.
  • Corporations (C-Corp & S-Corp), LLCs and Non-profit organizations: If your business wishes to operate under a name that is different than the official legal name that was filed with the IRS, a DBA form will be required. It is very common for Corporations and LLCs to have at least one DBA they operate business under.

How do I know where to file my DBA?

It depends on what city/county/state in which you will be operating your business. It is not uncommon for your local jurisdiction to also require you to publish an announcement in a local paper. Let us take the confusion out of filing a DBA. Fill out the “Start Your Doing Business As Application Now” form above. One of our DBA filing experts will contact you via email with easy step-by-step instructions on how to apply for DBA online.

Get help from a DBA expert

Can I start to conduct business under my DBA before it is filed?

In most cases, you will be required to file for and receive completed paperwork from your local or state jurisdiction before conducting business under your DBA. There are some exceptions to this rule; some jurisdictions will allow DBA filing up to 60 days from initial use of the name. Ask an expert to make sure your business is compliant to all state and local DBA requirements before you apply for DBA online.