What Do I Do If My Business Changes Location?

Businesses change location all the time, and it’s up to the business owner to make all the appropriate notifications with local, state, and federal agencies. Fortunately, letting these agencies know about relocation isn’t as tedious as you might expect. The distance you plan to move your business will determine whom you need to contact, and with what permanent information they need.

Relocating Within the Same State

First, complete a Change of Address form (Form 8822) and submit it to the IRS. You can also send a written statement to the IRS or make the change in person or by phone. Be sure to have either your Social Security Number (SSN) or tax ID handy, as they will need one of these things to confirm your identity.

If you change addresses in the same state you don’t have to change any existing documents with the IRS, or update your tax ID, often called an Employer Identification Number (EIN). In most cases, a new tax ID for change of business location is not required.

Next, you’ll need to notify the Secretary of State. Depending on the state, you may or may not have to amend registered documents like Articles of Incorporation (corporation) or Articles of Organization (LLC).

Notify your state’s Department of Revenue. They send your business information about state taxes, income taxes, and other state-related matters you’ll want to be apprised of while doing business there.

 Relocating Out of State

 If you plan to move out of the state, city, or county, you’ll first notify your old location that you’ve changed addresses, and then notify the new city and county in order to get a business license, as well as apply for a new fictitious business name.

At the state level, you’ll need to register your business with the Secretary of State. Because each state handles corporations and LLCs slightly differently, you might need to register a new entity, or you might be eligible to register as “foreign,” if you’re an LLC.

Next, register with the new state’s Department of Revenue or equivalent agency to ensure you collect state sales taxes and other taxes.

Lastly, notify the IRS of your change of address using the same form you would for same-state relocation: Form 8822. There should be no other changes with the IRS.