What happens if I make a mistake on the application?

It can be easy to make errors while applying for your EIN. You may have applied as a partnership instead of a sole proprietorship. Perhaps you simply put the wrong mailing address for your business. If you realize you made a mistake during your EIN application, you don’t have to fear. You may get a rejection notice from the IRS or you may notice something is wrong as you start filing your company’s tax return.

In any case, correcting EIN information is easy with the help of GovDocFiling. Here’s a guide to conducting an EIN number correction.

Apply for a new EIN

Verify What Is On File

The first step you should take when correcting SS-4 information is reaching out to us at orders@ We can let you know what we have on file in terms of your application and EIN. If you need further assistance, we can give you advice on what to do for your specific situation and how to communicate with the IRS.

Contact the IRS

There’s no specific form for correcting the information on your SS4 form application. Instead, you’ll likely need to send a letter to the IRS to make changes. Here’s the information you’ll need to include in your letter:

  • Full legal name and Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) of the responsible party
  • The business’s full legal name
  • The business’s mailing address
  • The business’s EIN
  • A brief yet detailed note about the information that needs to be changed
  • A description of the correct information

You should send this letter to the appropriate IRS office according to the state in which your company operates.

How Long Will It Take to Fix Mistakes?

There’s no easy answer to this question. The IRS is invested in making necessary changes as much as individual business owners are, because inaccurate tax records create problems for everyone. At the same time, though, there are a number of government databases your information appears in, and all of them will have to be updated with the new information. For that reason, it’s not unusual to wait as long as 30 days for corrections to appear. This is why it’s important to verify all of the information on your applications as quickly as possible, and to make the effort to get corrections made as quickly as possible when mistakes do occur.

What if Mistakes Cause My Application to Be Rejected?

In the event that your application is rejected for any reason, our standard rejection policy applies. That means you will get detailed information about the reasons for the rejection along with your refund (minus processing fee). This will allow you to take action quickly. If your original application was rejected, it is much easier to correct the information, because there is no record at the IRS to change. Under those circumstances, just follow these steps:

  • Review your records to verify the correct information
  • Make the changes required by the IRS in addition to your own corrections
  • Submit your new application and wait for verification

Can I Use My EIN if There Are Mistakes on My Record?

Yes. In fact, if you’re already operating and doing business, you will need to, because you will have the record corrected by the time you have to file a tax return at the end of the fiscal year. It’s very important to get the corrections in as soon as you can, but your EIN is active and can be used even if there are minor mistakes in the record itself.

Correcting the information on your SS-4 application is possible. If you need help correcting EIN information, filing for a business tax ID, or have any other questions, contact GovDocFiling.