How Do I Change the Name of My C-Corporation?

Sometimes business names don’t work out. Maybe the moniker of your C corporation was clever years ago, but it feels out of date today. Perhaps your customers didn’t connect with the name you chose. Maybe you included your name in your company’s title, but now you want the name to reflect a more corporate brand. Whatever the reason, you can change your business name. Here’s how to do it.

  1. Research Your Desired Name

Check whether your name is already registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. If you’re in the clear for trademark registration, check whether the domain name is taken via an accredited registrar. Finally, make sure the name isn’t registered with the secretary of state.

  1. Contact Your Secretary of State

Each state has a different form for changing the name of your business. This form is usually called an amendment form or articles of amendment.

  1. Notify the IRS

Using GovDocFiling, you can either note the name change on your tax return next year or send an IRS business name change letter.

  1. Get a New EIN

In some cases, you’ll need to undergo EIN changes when your business name changes. If this applies to you, you’ll need to apply for a new EIN here.

  1. Update Business Information

With a name change, you’ll need to adjust all your business details. You may need to amend the articles of incorporation and other documents. You’ll also likely want to update any information on your signage, website, logo and other branding.

Changing the name of your C corporation may sound confusing, but you can make it easier with the help of GovDocFiling. We’ll help you handle all of your business information and IRS forms to expedite the process. Get started by filling out this contact form. Our support team will be in touch with you to answer further questions you have about changing your business name.