I changed my name, do I need a new EIN?

Most businesses have an EIN for financial and tax purposes. When you decide to make changes to your business, you might wonder what additional filing and paperwork you may need to do. If you change your name and business enity structure, you will need to file for a new EIN.  File for a new EIN here. If you purchase a business and are keeping the same name and entity structure, but are a new business owner, you will need a new EIN. If you are changing the business name but keeping the same business structure and owner, you may not need to obtain a new EIN. However, you might need to file a document for changing the business name with the IRS and/or state and local government.

However, if you change your entity classification, you will need a new EIN.

Apply for an EIN

Changing Your Name

When you change your business name, you generally do not have to file for a new EIN. Instead, you submit an EIN name change. The process you take depends on your entity type. Sole proprietorships need to send a signed notification to the IRS. An authorized representative or the owner of the business must sign the document.

For S-Corps, C-Corps, and partnerships, you can detail the EIN business name change on your tax return when you file. For corporations, there is a box on Form 1120, and for partnerships, this will be on your Form 1065. If you change your name soon after you file your annual tax return, then you can inform the IRS of the EIN number change name through a signed notification, similar to a sole proprietorship.

When You Need a New EIN

In some cases, you might be making additional changes to your business. If you change addresses, you do not have to apply for an EIN. There are other circumstances where you also do not need to apply for a new number. However, you must obtain a new EIN when you:

  • Change the entity
  • Have a new charter as a corporation
  • Are a sole proprietor subject to bankruptcy proceedings

A new business owner in some situations does need to file for a new EIN.

When you make small changes to your business, such as moving locations or making a c-corp name change, you do not have to file for a new EIN. Start the process of filing for your EIN with GovDocFiling by filling out this form here.