What types of forms do I need to get an EIN?

What Types of Forms Do I Need to Get an EIN?Most businesses need an employer identification number (EIN), but you may be confused about how to get one. The good news is it’s easy. All you need to do is submit an SS4 form to the IRS with the help of GovDocFiling. Our online EIN application form is easy to understand and quick to complete. Once you submit the form, you’ll get your EIN quickly and you’ll be ready to use it for legal, banking, and transaction purposes. Here’s a guide to filling out your SS4 form online.

What Do I Need to Get an EIN?

  • You’ll want to have the following information ready before you fill out your tax ID application:
  • Your company’s name
  • What business structure you’ll be forming (sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, LLC, non-profit, trust, estate of a deceased individual)
  • Whether you’ll have employees within your first year of conducting business

Once you have these details prepared, you’ll be ready to apply for your EIN.

What Information Is Required of Me?

Our EIN application form will ask you for some details, including:

  • Personal Details: Full name, Social Security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), and title.
  • Business Details: Legal name, doing-business-as (DBA) name, date business started, the reason for applying, primary business activity, and the number of employees or members if applicable.
  • EIN Recipient Information: The name, email, and phone number of the person who will be responsible for legal matters.

There are a few unique questions for each entity type, but this is the basic information you’ll need to submit when you apply.

How Will I Receive My EIN?

Once you have completed your application, we will process it and email your EIN to you within one hour*. You’ll want to save this email and perhaps even print it out for record keeping purposes.

*Most EINs are processed same or next business day, unless bundled with state formations, processing times will vary.

Do I Need to Submit Tax Records or Bank Statements? 

No. In fact, you do not need to worry about including any additional evidence of your business activity when applying for an EIN. Unlike the ITIN application process, which does ask you to confirm your business activity in several ways if you have not payed taxes before, the EIN process only requires information about your business to be submitted, not additional copies of your records.

Which Government Forms do I Need to Submit?

None. When you fill out the EIN application form on GovDocFiling, representatives will translate that information into the SS-4 format required to obtain the EIN and submit it on your behalf. All you have to do is provide accurate information about your business, including its structure and the state where it was established.

What if I Need More Than One EIN?

Each company only needs one EIN, so it’s not very likely that you will need to apply for two at once. If you are submitting applications for many businesses, though, all you need to do is fill each out individually, listing yourself as the person of record on the application so you will receive each EIN. This allows you to register as many businesses as you need, which is particularly helpful if you are working to establish a few business entities in proximity to each other.

What if I Don’t Have an ITIN or Social Security Number?

If you don’t have either an ITIN or a Social Security number, obtaining those identifiers will be important. It is possible to work with an accountant to establish the EIN for the company without them, but it is more direct to obtain one of these identifiers for oneself, and most business owners opt to do it that way.

Once you have an ITIN or Social Security Number, you just need the rest of the information listed above to get started with an application. Don’t forget, if you have questions, you can always contact us to resolve them.